Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Book Review: Hysteria by Megan Miranda





Title: Hysteria
Author: Megan Miranda
# Of Pages: 336
Publisher: Walker Children’s
Publication Date: February 5, 2013
Source: NetGalley
Level: Young Adult
Rating: 5 Hearts







Synopsis

(From Goodreads)

Mallory's life is falling apart. Her boyfriend was stabbed. He bled to death in her kitchen. Mallory was the one who stabbed him. But she can't remember what happened that night. She only remembers the fear . . .

When Mallory's parents send her away to a boarding school, she thinks she can escape the gossip and the threats. But someone, or something, has followed her. There's the hand that touches her shoulder when she's drifting off to sleep. A voice whispering her name. And everyone knows what happened. So when a pupil is found dead, Mallory's name is on their lips. Her past can be forgotten but it's never gone. Can Mallory live with that?

My Verdict

Fracture, Megan’s Miranda’s first book was one of my favorite reads of 2012. Needless to say I was pretty flipping excited to get my hands on a copy of Hysteria before it’s release thanks to NetGalley! I know one thing for sure, Megan definitely knows how to write a psychological thriller!

I recommend setting aside a large chunk of time to read this book because once you start you’re not gonna want to stop. The book pulls you in from the very first chapter and never lets you go. Every moment I wasn’t reading this book I was thinking about it. All morning at work I thought about what had happened, what was going to happen, and wishing I was reading at that moment.

At first I didn’t think it was really all that suspenseful, but don’t worry, it gets there! Boy does it get there. I had so many scenerios swirling around in my head as I tried to put all the missing pieces together.

I think I’ve said before how much I love books that are set at boarding schools, they just hold so much potential. This one takes place at Monroe Prep, a boarding school set in the New Hampshire wilderness. I liked the setting, thinking back there wasn’t anything special about it but it fit the story perfectly, which is all that really matters.

A quick peek at the characters and relationships:

  • Mallory was a likable main character, you sympathized with her from the very beginning and wanted to see her happy.
  • Colleen, Mallory’s best friend, there was just something about her I didn’t like. There relationship was a little weird at times but okay for the most part.
  • Time to talk about the love interest. Sigh…. Reid is officially one of my favorite book boyfriends of all time. He is so sweet, caring, protective, genuine, and trusting you couldn’t help but fall in love with him! 
As for objectionable content there was a decent number of F words used throughout the book. For some reason they surprised me every time. Something about the way they were used just didn’t seem to fit the characters or situation.

Overall, this was a heart-pounding, mind-twisting book that I thoroughly enjoyed!  

9 comments:

  1. Ooooh. This sounds like a very intriguing book, although the cover looks a little creepy. Yikes! Anyway, great review as always. Keep on writin'
    ;)

    Best,
    Jhobell Kristyl
    http://bookmavenpicks.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this one too -- my review goes up on Friday, and in it I explain that ALL my theories as I was reading were dead wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to head over and read your review! All my theories were dead wrong as well.

      Delete
  3. It definitely was a hard one to put down, I agree! Though I did like the friendship with Colleen. But I was sketchy of for awhile. I think it was more the end and as everything was revealed that really made me enjoy that aspect. I must try to read Fracture soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Sara, I can't believe you haven't read Fracture!?! While I really liked this one, Fracture is still my favorite of hers!

      Delete
  4. Yay! Great review :) I'm so glad you loved this book. I liked it very much as well :) Ah, yes. Reid. He was amazing :D I cannot wait to read more books by Megan. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. REID <3 <3 I can't wait for more books by her too!! I hope soon!!

      Delete
  5. This book has gotten reviews all over the place and I don't know what to make of it. Most people aren't loving. It was nice you gave it the benefit of the doubt, but I am thinking I am going to skip this one.

    regards,
    marlene of Moose Hunting in Alaska

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking? Let me know! I love hearing from you and read each and every comment. I always try to respond or visit your blog in return so leave a comment. I know you want to ;)