Thursday, January 2, 2014

YA Review: Enders by Lissa Price





Title: Enders (Starters & Enders #2)
Author: Lissa Price
# of Pages: 288
Publisher: Random House
Publication Date: January 7th 2014
Source: ARC 
Level: Young Adult
Rating: 5 Hearts





Synopsis

With the Prime Destinations body bank destroyed, Callie no longer has to rent herself out to creepy Enders. But Enders can still get inside her mind and make her do things she doesn't want to do. Like hurt someone she loves. Having the chip removed could save Callie's life - but it could also silence the voice in her head that might belong to her father. Callie has flashes of her ex-renter Helena's memories, too ...and the Old Man is back, filling her with fear. Who is real and who is masquerading in a teen body? This is the thrilling sequel to "Starters".

My Verdict


Since it had been over a year since I read the first book in this set, Starters, I decided to do a re-read before jumping into Enders so I wouldn't have any problems connecting all the little pieces. However, the author did a good amount of recapping at the beginning so I probably would have been fine without the re-read but it got me back into the world and mindset so I'm still glad I did.

Callie, Tyler, and Michael are finally free from Prime Destination and are living like normal claimed Starters. That is until Callie starts hearing the voice of the Old Man in her head, proving to her that she will never be completely free. This book went in a lot of different directions than I was expecting, it's full of twists and turns that will keep you on your toes!

We get a few new characters this time around, some joining Callie's side, others fighting to bring her down. There's a certain new character I'd like to gush about but you're just going to have to read it for yourselves *que evil laughter* ;)

I think fans of the first book will be happy with where things go in Enders. For those who haven't read the first book yet, what are you waiting for?! While there is only supposed to be two books in the set the ending seemed like the perfect setup for a third. Hey, a girl can dream right? =) 

4 comments:

  1. this is the first time i hear of the series but it looks really good
    great review
    Your reader
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably should have done a re-read of Starters before delving into this one. It's not that I wasn't able to figure things out, but I think I may have appreciated Enders more as a whole if I was able to remember certain events and characters (like Beatty) better. The recapping did work, though.
    I think I know which new character you're talking about. :) I did like him for the most part, although that twist threw me for a bit of a loop and I was still processing it up until the conclusion lol.
    I could see Price writing more, but I don't think she needs to. I liked the note of hope and openness it ended with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this series yet, but it sounds SO good! I love series with twists and turns :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the covers of these two books, but still haven't gotten the chance to pick them up. Can't wait to do so. Awesome review, thank you!

    Lisa
    www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking? Let me know! I love hearing from you and read each and every comment. I always try to respond or visit your blog in return so leave a comment. I know you want to ;)