Monday, July 9, 2012

Book Review: Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols





Title: Such a Rush
Author: Jennifer Echols
# Of Pages: 336
Publisher: MTV Books
Publication Date: July 10, 2012
Level: Young Adult
Rating: 2 Hearts






Synopsis

(From Goodreads)

High school senior Leah Jones loves nothing more than flying. While she’s in the air, it’s easy to forget life with her absentee mother at the low-rent end of a South Carolina beach town. When her flight instructor, Mr. Hall, hires her to fly for his banner advertising business, she sees it as her ticket out of the trailer park. And when he dies suddenly, she’s afraid her flying career is gone forever.    

But Mr. Hall’s teenage sons, golden boy Alec and adrenaline junkie Grayson, are determined to keep the banner planes flying. Though Leah has crushed on Grayson for years, she’s leery of getting involved in what now seems like a doomed business — until Grayson betrays her by digging up her most damning secret. Holding it over her head, he forces her to fly for secret reasons of his own, reasons involving Alec. Now Leah finds herself drawn into a battle between brothers — and the consequences could be deadly.


My Verdict

My love of the gorgeous cover is the extent of my love for this book. It was slow paced, trashy, and full of annoying characters.

I couldn’t stand the main character of the book, Leah. While I admired her trying to make a better future for herself and get out of the trailer park life she’d grown up in, I just couldn’t stand her. She was always whining and complaining about being called the school slut (harsher word used in book), but does nothing to change it. In fact, she purposefully acts/dresses the way she thinks people expect her to. She gets mad at other people for thinking of her that way but thinks it herself. 

If I could use two words to describe the romance in this book I would say messed up.This is not your typical love triangle since Leah doesn’t actually have feeling for both guys. Leah’s been in love with Grayson since they were fourteen years old, but Grayson has never given her the time of day until now, when he blackmails her into dating his twin brother Alec. While Leah & Grayson’s feelings for each other deepen, they start to see each other in secret, while Grayson continues to make Leah go out with Alec, which made me furious!

The one part about the book I did enjoy was learning about the planes and details of flying. While I myself am terrified of heights and am afraid to ride on a plane, never-mind fly one. I found it really fun to read about someone as brave as Leah and her flying experiences.

As for objectionable content, there was an abundance of foul language as well as some sex scenes.

Overall, I wish I hadn’t wasted my time with this one. It was all very trashy in my opinion. I definitely won’t be adding any of Jennifer Echols other books to my TBR. 

6 comments:

  1. I like Jennifer a lot as a writer, so it's a bummer you didn't enjoy it. If you do decide to give her another try, I suggest Going Too Far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! If I ever decide to give her another chance I'll keep your recommendation in mind =)

      Delete
  2. Hi my name is Caitlin, over at The Y.A. Bookworm, I just wanted to let you know I have nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award ! Find out more here: http://theyabookworm.blogspot.ca/2012/07/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww shame you didn't like this one - I was thinking of reading this, but I guess now I'll think twice about picking it up. Thanks for the honest review though :)

    Catherine x
    The Book Parade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I was really disappointed. I had heard nothing but great things about it beforehand.

      Delete

What are you thinking? Let me know! I love hearing from you and read each and every comment. I always try to respond or visit your blog in return so leave a comment. I know you want to ;)