Friday, January 25, 2013

Book Review: Defy the Stars by Stephanie Parent




Welcome to day one of Defy the Stars Book Weekend! This book was SO good I wish I could personally tell each and every one of you all about it, but since that's pretty much impossible I settled on  shining a spotlight on it through my blog. 

Here's how things are gonna go: 
Today: Book Review
Tomorrow: Author Interview
Sunday: Giveaway





Title: Defy the Stars
Author: Stephanie Parent
# Of Pages: 596
Publisher: Self-Published
Publication Date: July 30th 2012
Source: A review copy by the author (THANK YOU STEPHANIE!!)
Level: Young Adult
Rating: 5 Hearts





Synopsis

(From Amazon.com)

Julia Cape: A dedicated classical piano student just trying to get through her last semester of high school while waiting to hear from music conservatories.

Reed MacAllister: A slacker more likely to be found by the stoners’ tree than in class.

Julia and Reed might have graduated high school without ever speaking to each other…until, during a class discussion of Romeo and Juliet, Julia scoffs at the play’s theme of love at first sight, and Reed responds by arguing that feelings don’t always have to make sense. Julia tries to shake off Reed’s comment and forget about this boy who hangs with the stoner crowd—and who happens to have breathtaking blue eyes—but fate seems to bring the two together again and again. After they share an impulsive, passionate kiss, neither one can deny the chemistry between them. Yet as Julia gets closer to Reed, she also finds herself drawn into his dark world of drugs and violence. Then a horrific tragedy forces Julia’s and Reed’s families even farther apart…and Julia must decide whether she’s willing to give up everything for love.

My Verdict

WOAH. I have to say this book completely blew me away! Defy the Stars is a brilliant reinvention of the classic Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare. Now, this is not a story I was familiar with beyond the general knowledge of two young lovers torn apart by their families and ending in tragedy. I’ve never actually read it or even seen the movie for that matter so I can’t really talk about if the author stuck closely to the original or strayed from the well-beaten path. What I can say is that she caused me to fall in love with a story I never had an interest in before.

I read this book in one sitting though it is much longer than the normal verse novel, weighing in at a lofty 596 pages. It took me a good 6 to 7 hours only leaving my chair to eat. I was captivated by the story before me, getting sucked into the world of Julia and Reed. All the characters were so well developed; from her parents, to her best friend Sara, to major creeper Perry, to Marc, Cary, Ms. Cheng, they were all so real.  

One of the things I thought was really unique and I really enjoyed about this book was how large a role music plays. The main character, Julia, is a brilliant piano player who practices day in and day out with dreams of attending one of the most prestigious music conservatories. I loved all the talk about piano and how it was such an essential part of who Julia was. Her thought process revolved around music, she would classify characters by their voice type: soprano, alto, bass.

I do want to mention that there is a pretty heavy amount of drug use in this book. I’ve never read anything like it before. I normally try to stay away from the subject, but the author handled it in such a way that it didn’t bother me. While the characters do use a lot of drugs, the book definitely doesn’t condone them.

Even though I knew the tragic ending that was in store, I found myself hoping it wouldn’t be so, wishing to re-write history. I won’t give anything away but there is a twist on the ending you won’t see coming. Defy the Stars has easily become on of my favorite verse novels and I can only hope Stephanie will continue to write more!!!

15 comments:

  1. Thanks for this awesome review! Sounds amazing. I can't wait to read this =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did =)

      Delete
  2. Yay, I'm so glad you loved this one! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm mad I didn't get with it and read it sooner! SOOOO good! =D

      Delete
  3. Well, this is so interesting I have never read verse novels but they always fascinate me!
    Thought I might give this a try
    GREAT review
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Soma! I highly recommend verse novels in general, but also this one in particular! =D

      Delete
  4. Love Romeo and Juliet retellings. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, great review :D I'm not sure if this book would be for me, but I love the cover :) Glad you enjoyed it so much, though :D Thank you for sharing. <3
    Love, Carina @ Carina's Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover is very pretty, I love how everything is silhouetted <3 Thanks for stopping by Carina! =)

      Delete
  7. I didn't even realize it was going to be a retelling! I really like Romeo and Juliet's story. The drug use portion doesn't really bother me so it's extra good that the author handles it in a way where it's not a problem. Worried about the tragic ending. I could just imagine what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like the original Romeo and Juliet then you'll be able to handle the ending!

      Delete
  8. What an interesting love story about two very unlikely people. Sounds tragic at the end. Love twists.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking? Let me know! I love hearing from you and read each and every comment. I always try to respond or visit your blog in return so leave a comment. I know you want to ;)