Friday, January 4, 2013

Book Review: Fallen by Lauren Kate




Title: Fallen
Author: Lauren Kate
# Of Pages: 464
Publisher: Delacorte
Publication Date: December 8, 2009
Source: Purchased
Level: Young Adult
Rating: 3 Hearts







Synopsis

(From Amazon.com)

There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce--and goes out of his way to make that very clear--she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

My Verdict

There was something strangely addicting about this book! Even though I didn’t care for any of the characters and found the plot rather monotonous, I couldn’t stop reading. I don’t know what it was about it, but something kept me turning pages.

I found Luce to be a pretty annoying protagonist, she bounces between Daniel and Cam like a ping-pong ball. Oh my gosh Daniel, oh Cam is so sweet, look at how handsome Daniel is, oh my gosh Cam. That was pretty much her thought process the whole book.

I felt like I was intended to turn into a pile of mush over Daniel like Luce did but I really didn’t care for him either. The one character out of the whole book that I actually did like was Luce’s friend Penn who was funny, quirky and the only true friend Luce had, in my opinion. 

My favorite thing about this book was probably the setting. I always enjoy books where the characters live at boarding schools, it gives the author the ability to create this whole unique setting all their own.

The ending was nothing more than a bunch of chaos that left you unsatisfied and a little miffed about certain things. 

I know I’m in the minority here considering it was #1 on the New York Times Bestseller list, but I just wasn’t feeling it. I believe there are at least three or four more books in the series but I won’t be reading them. I will however look on Wikipedia to find out how the series ends. Mwuhahaha J the power of technology. 

8 comments:

  1. I completely agree with this review! But I only gave the book 2 stars. The characters were definitely annoying and the plot was okay. I was most disappointed in the setting. Like you, I typically enjoy boarding school settings, but I think the author could have done more with this one since it was for troubled teens. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one who felt this way! Your right, I think she could have done more with the setting but compared to everything else it was still the best part of the book haha.

      Delete
  2. I actually really liked Fallen. I don't normally got for paranormal, but I liked this one. Yes, Penn is an amazing character and I really loved her name. On the whole, I was glad I read this book and am about to start the third one in the series. Your review does make some good points about Luce and Daniel, though.
    Thanks for posting!
    ~Sarah Faulkner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your enjoying the series more than I did Sarah, you can let me know how it ends ;)

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you! I didn't have the strength that you have and read ALL of the books. I had to know what the crap was causing her to die and come back. Well, no worries, it was disappointing. The initial premise was intriguing but didn't get played out in an enjoyable way for me. Great review! Gaby From TwoReadersWriting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gaby, thanks so much for stopping by! I totally understand, I was tempted to keep reading myself but decided I'd rather spend my time reading other books. It really stinks that the ending was disappointing after you took the time to read them ALL!

      Delete
  4. Hello, Amanda!

    This is Jhobell Kristyl, book review blogger of BOOK MAVEN'S PICKS. How are you doing? I just want to let you know that I've featured this post of yours of my weekly meme GREAT POST TUESDAY. Every Tuesday, I feature wonderful posts by other bloggers. Feel free to check it out at http://bookmavenpicks.wordpress.com/2013/01/22/fallen-by-lauren-kate-born-bookish/

    Best,
    Jhobell Kristyl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Jhobell, I'm honored you picked me! =D

      Delete

What are you thinking? Let me know! I love hearing from you and read each and every comment. I always try to respond or visit your blog in return so leave a comment. I know you want to ;)