Friday, September 2, 2011

Book Review: Awaken by Katie Kacvinsky





Title: Awaken
Author: Katie Kacvisnky
# Of Pages: 320
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Books for Children
Publication Date: May 23, 2011
Level: Young Adult
Rating: 5 Hearts








Synopsis

(From goodreads.com)

Maddie lives in a world where everything is done on the computer. Whether it’s to go to school or on a date, people don’t venture out of their home. There’s really no need. For the most part, Maddie’s okay with the solitary, digital life- until she meets Justin, Justin likes being with people. He enjoys the physical closeness of  face-to-face interactions. People aren’t meant to be alone, he tells her.

Suddenly, Maddie feels something awakening inside her- a feeling that maybe there is a different, better way to live. But with society and her parents telling her otherwise, Maddie is going to have to learn to stand up for herself if she wants to change the path her life is taking.

In this not-so-brave new world, two young people struggle to carve out their own space.

My Verdict

This book was AMAZING! Definitely one of my favorite dystopian novels ever! The author did such a great job at creating a futuristic world that is completely driven by technology and completely believable. She painted this world so vividly across the pages that I really felt like I was there, living the story alongside the characters.
  
All the characters in this book, from the main ones to the ones who only played minor roles, were all such strong characters.
  
Maddie is such an incredible leading lady. She is strong, confident, brave, and beautiful, the best part is that she doesn’t even realize it. She possesses all these qualities but isn’t all cocky about it, she doesn’t even see these qualities in herself until others point them out. Of course there is also Justin, the totally incredible leading male. Justin is strong, brave, sweet, protective, the list could go on and on, or I could just sum it up by saying that he is one of my all time favorite YA leading male characters ever.
  
I have to admit that as much as a loved this book, it wasn't love at first sight. It took me a little while to get sucked into the story, but once I was, you would have had to pry that book from my fingers with the jaws of life to make me stop reading. 
  
Needless to say I’m sitting on pins and needles waiting for the sequel (a.k.a. Middle Ground) to come out in late 2012. My only wish is that it would come out sooner! 

1 comment:

  1. Based on your review, I'm moving this to the top of my to be read list!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking? Let me know! I love hearing from you and read each and every comment. I always try to respond or visit your blog in return so leave a comment. I know you want to ;)