Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Book Review: The Raft by S.A. Bodeen




Title: The Raft
Author: S.A. Bodeen
# Of Pages: 240
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Publication Date: August 21, 2012
Source: Library
Level: Young Adult
Rating: 2 Hearts







Synopsis

(From Amazon.com)

Robie is an experienced traveler. She’s taken the flight from Honolulu to the Midway Atoll, a group of Pacific islands where her parents live, many times. When she has to get to Midway in a hurry after a visit with her aunt in Hawaii, she gets on the next cargo flight at the last minute. She knows the pilot, but on this flight, there’s a new co-pilot named Max. All systems are go until a storm hits during the flight. The only passenger, Robie doesn’t panic until the engine suddenly cuts out and Max shouts at her to put on a life jacket. They are over miles of Pacific Ocean. She sees Max struggle with a raft. 


And then . . . she’s in the water. Fighting for her life. Max pulls her onto the raft, and that’s when the real terror begins. They have no water. Their only food is a bag of Skittles. There are sharks. There is an island. But there’s no sign of help on the way.

My Verdict

My standards for this book were heightened by the fact that I just recently read Survive, which I loved and that was also about a girl who finds herself in a crazy life or death situation.

I found the main character, Robie, hard to care about, which isn’t good when you’re supposed to be rooting for her survival. She was immature, whiny, and selfish. When you’re stranded with another person fighting for survival wouldn’t you think it would bring the two of you together and you would take care of one another? Nope, that wasn’t the case. The only food on the Raft is a bag of Skittles but does Robie share them? NOPE. She eats them all while Max is sleeping, and later when she catches a fish once again she eats her share and leaves nothing for Max.

The “big plot twist” was easily guessed early on and when this “twist” was finally revealed at the end we are practically beaten over the head with it to make sure we fully comprehend what happened. This just frustrated me.

I did like that the ending wasn’t abrupt. It went further than just the conclusion of this horrible event, which I found very satisfying.

For a book where the main characters life hangs in the balance for most of the book it was way too easy to put down and forget about. I should have been enraptured in her fight for survival; instead I could’ve cared less.

5 comments:

  1. Aww, that sucks Amanda! (But I still want to read this book.) I'm sorry you didn't like it, and I can understand why--who steals SKITTLES from a sleeping boy? What's wrong with her? (You put it down?! Ooh, that does not bode well.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh I really enjoyed this novel! I'm sad you didn't like it as much but I really loved the plot twist and the ending. Very different from normal books.

    still, I know many people who had the same opinion as yours,
    great review

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, this one doesn't sound too good. Yeah, I would think it was a basic survival thing that people would automatically work together when in a stranded kind of situation. Robie sounds exactly like the kind of protagonist I can't stand, so I'll be steering clear of this one.

    Thanks for the review! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. God! I love survivor books. I should have posted a different review for the last week. I didn't think we could do a book like this.
    Ugh. Hate it when I can get the twist in a story. It just ruins everything. Too bad. It had potential and I'm liking the cover. I guess I can try Survive then.
    She’s Got Books on Her Mind

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't really enraptured by this book eithher. I thought the surprise with Max was well done though. I had my suspicions of course, but when it's revealed it's sort of creepy.

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking? Let me know! I love hearing from you and read each and every comment. I always try to respond or visit your blog in return so leave a comment. I know you want to ;)