Saturday, October 6, 2012

Book Review: Survive by Alex Morel




Title: Survive
Author: Alex Morel
# Of Pages: 259
Publisher: Razorbill
Publication Date: August 2, 2012
Source: Library
Level: Young Adult
Rating: 4 Hearts







Synopsis

(From Amazon.com)

Hatchet meets Lost in this modern-day adventure tale of one girl's reawakening

Jane is on a plane on her way home to Montclair, New Jersey, from a mental hospital. She is about to kill herself. Just before she can swallow a lethal dose of pills, the plane hits turbulence and everything goes black. Jane wakes up amidst piles of wreckage and charred bodies on a snowy mountaintop. There is only one other survivor: a boy named Paul, who inspires Jane to want to fight for her life for the first time.

Jane and Paul scale icy slopes and huddle together for warmth at night, forging an intense emotional bond. But the wilderness is a vast and lethal force, and only one of them will survive.

My Verdict

Survive is a heartbreaking and beautiful debut from author Alex Morel.

I was so excited to read a book under 300 pages. I feel like this has become a rarity. I started the book before bed one night and had easily read half before putting it down. It only took one more sitting the next day for me to finish it off.

The book is divided into two parts; Part One: Prepare for Takeoff and Part Two: Survive. Within both parts the chapters were very short and propelled you forward to keep reading just one more, which always turned into a bunch more!

While I may not have loved the characters right from the start, I did grow to love them as the story went on. I was so impressed with both Jane and Paul’s bravery, strength, and sense of calm. If my plane went down onto an icy mountaintop I don’t think I would be able to pull myself together as fast as they do. What started out as a conversation between two strangers on an airplane evolves into a bond strong enough to keep each other alive.

While I did enjoy the romance aspect, I don’t think it is one that ever would have developed outside of the circumstances. I think any guy and girl who were in a life or death situation would probably end up getting romantic. I mean you’re the only two people alive, and who knows if you’re ever going to see another human being again.

Even though I knew how things were going to end (it says so right up there in the synopsis^) it still broke my heart and made me cry when it happened, leaving tearstains on the pages.

The whole book is this intense fight for survival, filled with stress and anticipation for rescue. It all builds up to what we hope will be a satisfying ending. However, I was really disappointed in the ending. After all we went through, that’s all the closure we get? Seriously? It just wasn’t enough for me.

On the inside flap of the book it was described as “Hatchet for a new generation.” I’d never heard of Hatchet befor,e but now I want to read it, and if it’s anywhere near as good as Survive I know I’m going to like it. A lot! I can’t wait to see what author Alex Morel cooks up for us next time.

Objectionable Content Warning: disturbing images of people after the plane crash, talk of Jane’s former suicide attempts, a handful of swears, most of which were the F word, and the killing & skinning of a rabbit.

12 comments:

  1. This book looks amazing! But I don't know whether it's worth having my heart broken to read it. Not to mention, the disappointing ending.

    Great review!

    Angie @YA Novelties

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though it broke my heart, if I could go back in time I would still chose to read it again! Thanks for stopping by =)

      Delete
  2. Hatchet AND Lost? Cool. I love Hatchet. It's like Lost in it's own way but without all that sci-fi craziness going on. A lot of people don't like it which I find shocking. It's basically survival and oh yeah! it's because a planes he's on crashes. He's the only one to survive.
    I don't know if I would want to read a book like Lost. I'm confused already but it doesn't sound like it all.
    I couldn't survive a plane crash because I would have had a heart attack before then. I'm terrified of planes so it's unlikely that I will ever be on one anyways but still...
    The guy is definitely going to die. It's always the guy or maybe I think that because of the movie I just watched. Well the girl is going to die soon anyways...
    Yeah, no way is being calm realistic.
    Sucks about the ending.
    I see what the cover is now. lol.
    She’s Got Books on Her Mind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you enjoyed Hatchet than I'm sure you would enjoy this too! I am definitely adding Hatchet to my list of books to read! I totally agree with you, I am terrified of flying and would also probably die of a heart attack before the plane actually crashed. I'm actually going on a trip to London in January and now I'm freaking out about the plane ride! I probably shouldn't have read this book until after my trip =/

      Delete
  3. Great review. I really want to check this book out now. And the cover looks great as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a book that is packed with action. Loved your interpretation and comments. Think I'd like this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is definitely action packed thats for sure! Thanks for stopping by Pat =)

      Delete
  5. Great review <3 this book does seem great :) and I love the cover. But I won't ever read this book. Because of heartbreaking ending; like you said about the summary :( Sigh. Still. Great review :D And the book does seem interesting, still ;)
    Love, Carina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the cover too! It took me awhile to realize that the bottom were mountains, I had always seen the image so small that I couldn't tell until I actually had a copy of it in my hands. Thanks for stopping by Carina! =)

      Delete
  6. I loved this book. I was disappointed that the synopsis gave away part of the ending. But I guess at least I was emotionally prepared ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was bummed about that too, but I was an emotional wreck even with the warning so I can't imagine what it would have done to me without it!

      Delete

What are you thinking? Let me know! I love hearing from you and read each and every comment. I always try to respond or visit your blog in return so leave a comment. I know you want to ;)