Thursday, October 25, 2012

Haunted Week: Day 2

{This Girl Reads}
October 25th - Bats in your Book Pages
Even the biggest book enthusiasts have some bats in their belfries about things in books that drive them insane. Today tell your readers about five things that drive you crazy in books.

When I first read todays topic of discussion I thought it was going to be hard for me to think of five things that drove me crazy, but once I started thinking I actually came up with a lot more than just five and had to cut my list down! 

So here are my top five pet peeves when it comes to books:

1. Profanity
When there are more swear words coming out of the characters mouths than anything else I usually stop reading. I just don't see the need for it. PG-13 movies only allow 1-2 F words before it becomes R, if books followed this same rule it would put a good chunk of YA books in the R rated category.

2. Explicit sexual content
I understand that this is young adult books we're talking about here, which are bound to contain sexual content on some level or another. I just don't want to read every excruciating detail of it.

3. Unnecessary Violence
I'm a pretty big wimp when it comes to blood and gore. Yes, I have read The Hunger Games (who hasn't?) And yes they were the most violent books I've ever read in my life. But violence was essential to the plot, without the violence there would have been no books. It's got to be essential to the plot line in some way, if it's just thrown into a story to make the readers squirm than I'm not going to put myself through it. 

4. Stereotyping
There nothing that disconnects me from a character more than stereotyping. I want the heroes and heroins of my books to be unique individuals whom I can relate with or look up to. I don't want some cookie cutter personality that I've read about a hundred times before. I find this happens most often with side characters, just because there not in the leading role doesn't mean they shouldn't be well rounded, and personable characters.

5. Insta-Love
I know I'm not alone on this one! Insta-Love seems to be one of the most loathed topics of YA right now. Almost any book review you read either says "No insta-love here" or "I really liked this book, except for the insta-love." Relationships take time, we want to see the characters slowly fall for each other not look into one another's eyes and head for the altar.



What is your biggest book pet peeve?

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree about the 'cookie-cutter' characters! (I have kind of the same thing in my post.) But I don't think I included insta-love. I included similar things, but insta-love is off my list I believe...everyone seems to be doing it! Nice post, Amanda! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost didn't include insta-love because it seems to be a general pet peeve of everyones but I needed to rant a little, LoL.

      Delete
  2. Great post! I was thinking it was going to be difficult to write, too, but I ended up having to cut a couple out. I totally agree with them all, especially the 5th! You think when it's the most loathed thing about YA books that authors would take a hint! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely surprised myself with how many things I came up with when I actually sat and thought about it. I know right?!? Maybe we should start an I hate insta-love campaign and they would get the message. Hahaha ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm really with you on #1. I don't mind if the language is realistic, but as a teacher, I get kind of upset when I read a wonderful YA book but I can't use it in class, assign it for summer reading, or sometimes even recommend it to my students because the language is so bad. Is it really necessary, is the thing? Great post!

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking? Let me know! I love hearing from you and read each and every comment. I always try to respond or visit your blog in return so leave a comment. I know you want to ;)